Applying Studying Institutions Living

After graduation

  • After graduation, nationals of third countries can remain in Germany for up to one year to look for a job related to their qualification. If you have found appropriate work, you can obtain a temporary work and residence permit, which can be extended later. After 5 years of residence and employment in Germany, you can obtain permanent right of domicile.
  • For citizens of EU accession states transitional regulations will remain in place for a few years in some areas (right of domicile and labour law). This means that people in this group will often be subject to the same regulations as citizens of third countries. Information can be found on the European Commission website.
  • A residence permit can be converted into an unrestricted right of domicile if the following requirements are met:
    • Five years in possession of a residence permit
    • Five years of employment paying social insurance contributions
    • Secure livelihood
    • Sufficient living space for the applicant and their family
    • Proficiency in German
    • Basic knowledge of German law and society

  • Sources of further information about measures to simplify immigration for workers in particular professions include the press release from the German Ministry of Education and Research.
php2all MiniCMS