Applying Studying Institutions Living


How do I complete the application form?
To apply to a higher education institution in Germany, it is not sufficient to write an informal application letter. You normally require the DAAD admission application. However, some institutions have developed their own application form and accept nothing else. It is important that you back up the information provided in the application form with corresponding documentation where possible. A completed sample application can be found here.

When do I have to apply?
Essentially, you can apply for the winter or summer semester. However, many subjects are only available in the winter semester or, more rarely, only in the summer semester.
Before you apply, you should always find out from your chosen institution when the relevant application deadline is. This information is available on the institution's homepage, from the student advice service, from the student registration office or from the institution's international office.

Are there different application deadlines for preparatory courses and direct admission?
Yes. At many institutions, the application deadline for preparatory courses is different from the deadline for a main course of study. Make sure you find out the current application deadlines for the institutions and preparatory courses.

What documents do I need to enclose with my application?
You should generally submit all certificates that are relevant in for entrance to higher education. Our database shows you which certificates are normally required for 21 countries of origin. Generally speaking, you should find out from your chosen institution which certificates and additional documents are necessary to support your application.
Information about the necessary formalities before applying can also be found here.

Is it enough to submit ordinary (= non-authenticated) copies of my certificates?
Most institutions demand either officially or publicly authenticated copies. Further information about authentication is available here.

Can I have my certificates authenticated in my home country or do I have to do this in Germany?
Institutions have very different requirements. Information about the form of authentication required can be found on the institution homepage. In future, our "Application checklist" database will also provided detailed information about this issue.

Do I have to have my certificates translated?
Normally yes. However, most institutions also accept certificates issued in either English or French or translations into these languages. If you submit translations, who produced the translations is important; sometimes the translation has to be carried out by an official authority, e.g. by the authorized department of the institution that issued the certificate, or by a sworn translator. Information about which languages and what forms of translation your chosen institution will accept is available directly from the institution.

How do I write a CV?
Your CV (Curriculum Vitae) must normally be enclosed with every application.
If you have to enclose a separate document, note the following information.

A CV should contain the following information:

  • Personal details (name, date and place of birth, nationality, address)
  • Education: Schooling, higher education (including study periods outside home country), professional training
  • Language skills with details of level of language qualifications
  • Work placements with duration and short description of duties
  • Other skills
  • Date and signature

Make sure that your CV is always up to date. Provide details of all relevant activities up to the application. Where possible, back up all information with corresponding documents/certificates.

An "uninterrupted CV" is often required: This means that up to the time of making the application, there are no periods for which you do not provide any information.

A completed sample CV can be found here.

php2all MiniCMS