Applying Studying Institutions Living

EU citizens

  • Citizens of the European Union and the European Economic Area and certain other states, who have statutory health insurance at home, can arrange for their foreign health insurance protection to be recognised by a statutory health insurance provider in Germany. To do this, students require a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). In exceptional cases, if the EHIC cannot be issued in time, a provisional certificate will also be recognised.
  • In any case, you should check what is actually covered by your foreign health insurance while in Germany. You may need additional insurance for services not covered by your foreign health insurance. Contact your insurance provider for details.
  • In some cases, foreign private health insurance taken out by foreign students in their home country is also recognised in Germany. If you want to take advantage of this, when you enrol at the German institution you require confirmation that you are exempt from compulsory statutory health insurance for students. Attention: Once you have taken exemption from compulsory health insurance for students, you cannot return to the statutory health insurance scheme for the duration of your studies in Germany.
php2all MiniCMS